Friday, August 21, 2009

Fearless Against Impure Thoughts

Norman Vincent Peale once stayed home for a month while his wife and children went on vacation. About midway through that month, Peale met a beautiful girl looking for excitement. When she made it clear that she would like to go on a date with Peale, he “put his conscience in mothballs” and arranged to meet her on Saturday night.

Peale awoke on Saturday morning and decided to take a walk on the beach. He took an old ax along to chop some rope away from the wreck of an old barge that had washed up on the shore. Due to the freshness of the morning and the rhythm of the ax, Peale began to chop in earnest.


As he chopped, a strange thing began to happen. He said, “I felt as if I were outside myself, looking at myself through a kind of fog that was gradually clearing. Suddenly I knew that what I had been planning for that evening was so wrong, so out of keeping with the innermost me.” Peale promptly canceled the date.

From
God’s Little Lessons for Leaders (p. 95).

"To be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace." Romans 8:6 KJV

No comments: